glftpd trouble after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04

Today I upgraded three computers running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to the latest version 10.04. On one of the computers I had glftpd running and it did not work anymore after the upgrade. When I checked for the open ports


netstat -anp --tcp --udp | grep LISTEN


the port glftpd was previously running on, was not in the list anymore and also ps aux | grep glftpd did not show the process. The error "service/protocol combination not in /etc/services: glftpd/tcp" could be seen when restarting xinetd


sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd restart


while tailing syslog


tail -100f /var/log/syslog


All that was missing was a entry in /etc/services at the end.


# Local services
glftpd 10087/tcp # glftpd


First I thought the 10.04 upgrade process was flawed but then I remembered that Ubuntu actually asked me to keep or overwrite some files which I had modified in 8.04. I almost always decided to overwrite the files, except for some local Apache modifications. Apparently /etc/services was one of the files that had changed.